Thursday, May 17, 2012

Smart phones?

This is the last post in my diatribe about technology.  To buy or not to buy a smart phone - that is the question.  I don't have a smart phone, or at least I don't pay for the privilege of going online on my phone.  Why not, you may ask?  Honestly, mainly because I don't see the need for it.  I have a laptop at home, and I walk to work and have a computer there.  As I spend most of my time either at home or on campus, why would I need a smart phone?

I do see the benefit, but I compare myself to folks who don't drive.  As most people do drive, those who don't can find a ride when they need one 99% of the time.  If I really needed to access a smart phone when I'm out and about, I could borrow someone else's phone.

Here is one example.  On Mother's Day, our whole family was coming home from a nice Columbian dinner.  I was lamenting the fact that the Amazing Race is over, which is a fun show to watch on Sunday nights.  The wife in the winning couple did really well on the tasks, so I mentioned to my family "she was a good competer."  Oh, they got a good laugh out of that one.  "Mom, competer is not a word.  It's competitor" my 20-something year-old son said.  My youngest son stood by my side, and said he thought competer was indeed a word.  I asked my husband to ask Siri - the virtual assistant on the newest iPhone.  Siri came back with 'completer.' No help there.

When we got home, which was in less than a 1/2 hour, my youngest son looked it up on dictionary.com.  Sure enough, 'competer' is a word.  Thank God - as an English teacher it's not really fashionable to invent new words, though if Shakespeare can . . .

Of all the technology I am not currently using, a smart phone is probably the one I am more likely to buy -- but not right now.  I'd get it if only to play 'words with friends' with my oldest son, who would probably cream me every time!

No comments:

Post a Comment