Thursday, September 13, 2018

Stories Are Everywhere

Walking to work today I greeted or interacted with six people. My walk is only three blocks long! I like living in the neighborhood where I work and attend church. Once I got to the office I'm working in today, I realized how each person I greeted or talked to has a story. Some I know; some I don't. But every person has a story; and every story is potential for a short story, a poem, a character, or a novel.

First, I greeted an Egyptian man who is always out and about in the neighborhood. His sons attended our after-school program and his older son hung out with one of my sons. Then I saw an older woman from our church. Her son recently died of throat cancer and she is still grieving. She has a story to tell. In the next block I came across a former student. She took my speech class over a year ago and is still pursuing her Associate's Degree.

Before I reached Dunkin Donuts I came upon a homeless man whom I've talked to a bit. I gave him some change and wondered how he ended up homeless on the streets of Jersey City. I'm sure there is a long, fascinating, somewhat tragic story there. While waiting for my bagel, I saw another former student. This young Pakistani woman told me about her struggles in this country. She is now finishing her degree at NJIT. I know a few of her stories, but I'm sure her life is worthy of a book!

As I left Dunkin Donuts to walk the remaining block, another homeless man asked me for money, which I gave him. When he said he needed a hug, I told him "I don't hug strangers," which isn't 100% true, but I shook his hand instead. Again, I can only imagine the stories he could tell--about his own life, and others' lives.

If you're an aspiring writer, just look around you every day. Talk to people. Engage. There are stories all around us!

3 comments:

  1. And the story of how you brighten the lives of everyone in your neighborhood is another tale worth telling.

    ReplyDelete