Sunday, November 22, 2020

Are You a True Reader or a Book Nerd?

Not a day goes by when I don't read. I read the bible daily, and I am also usually reading a novel; articles online; student work; texts and email messages; recipes. I can't imagine a day without reading as an integral part. But none of these activities make me a "true reader" according to C.S. Lewis, beloved and renowned Christian author, professor, scholar, and novelist. Lewis highlights a few characteristics of a "true reader" in his book (compiled from letters and writings) The Reading Life: The Joy of Seeing New Worlds Through Others' Eyes

C.S. Lewis has been described as "the best-read man of his generation, one who read everything and remembered everything he read" (Epmson, qtd in Lewis). Anyone who is reading John Milton's Paradise Lost at ten years old and Shakespeare at eleven is beyond erudite! So Lewis's ethos argument is strong--he has earned the right to qualify who earns the title of "true reader." See if you pass these four tests of a "true reader" C.S. Lewis uses to separate the serious from the inconsequential! 

 1) Loves to re-read books 
    Have you ever purposely re-read a book? I read so many books, some serious literary tomes, and some lighthearted romances, that I can forget I read a book. This has happened more times than I'd like to admit, and I usually reach a point where it seems so familiar that I realize I have read the book previously. At that point, I sometimes continue and finish the book, and other times set it aside.
    I'm a member of JASNA (Jane Austen Society of North America). Any good Janeite will tell you how many times they have read each of Austen's six books. I remember hearing a Janeite say at a conference, "Oh, I didn't realize that until my thirteenth reading of Persuasion." Some books beg to be re-read. Why re-read a book? It's not for the plot - we already know the plot. We re-read for the lyrical prose, for how the book makes us feel, and think, and see differently.

 2) Highly values reading as an activity 
    I read daily because I love to read. Now that I'm on Goodreads it's easier to keep track, but I generally read 4-6 books a month. Do you read because you love to read, or because there is nothing else to do? When I travel I always have my iPad, or Nook, plus a few actual books. I can remember when I was a pre-teen I would get together with my friend Connie and we would spend the afternoon sitting outside each engrossed in our own book. Yep, I'm a book nerd.

 3) Lists the reading of particular books as a life-changing experience 
    Books have changed my perspective, taken me to the past and the future, provided hours of enjoyment and suspense, and made me a more empathetic person. First, the Bible has changed my life and revealed spiritual truth. All other books pale in comparison to the impact of the Bible on my life. 
    Second, authors who have greatly impacted me include Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Charlotte Bronte, Geoffrey Chaucer, William Shakespeare, Chinua Achebe, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Alexandre Dumas, Leo Tolstoy, Tracy Chevalier, Jojo Moyes, Philippa Gregory, Barbara Kingsolver, Olaudah Equiano, Noah Gordon, Langston Hughes, Sophocles, Homer, Ann Patchett, Mark Twain, Emily Dickinson, Herman Melville, Vikram Seth, Thrity Umrigar, Jhumpa Lahiri, Maeve Binchy, Rosalind Laker, Ann Tyler, .... and too many more to name.

 4) Continuously reflects on and recalls what one has read 
    (these four points are taken from The Reading Life by C.S. Lewis).
    Book groups are great. I'm not in a book group right now, but I love sitting around and talking about books. Book groups are one way to reflect on what we've read. I guess some of my literature classes are like book groups in the sense that we read and discuss literature. But there are other ways to reflect on books - writing reviews, journaling, and talking to friends. When a book simply blows me away I write a review -- it comes out of the life-changing experience of reading the book and I'm compelled to share my experience with other readers. I also blog about my favorite books!

    What do you think? Do you meet all four of these criteria and qualify as a True Reader, according to C.S. Lewis. Or, if you'd like another evaluation to determine if you're a Book Nerd, take this quiz: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/whats-your-book-nerd-score/

    What's the verdict? Are you a True Reader or  Book Nerd?

_______________________________________________________

Lewis, C.S. The Reading Life, The Joy of Seeing New Worlds Through Others' Eyes. Harper One, 2019.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. leaving another comment to see if this one produces a hyperlink...yes, this one is clickable on my name.

    ReplyDelete